Posted by Voltron on Ezboard: transcript of Mn radio interview with Clay and Ruben 7/9/03 Hi all! I was lucky enough to have someone tape this interview today (7/9) for me. I didn't see the link to listen to the interview yet on The KDWB Dave Ryan in the morning show site so I thought I would post the transcript. It's very funny. Enjoy! Dave Ryan goes to interview Ruben and Clay. Crisco the side kick DJ is brought along because his mother is a big fan. He wants autographs. Dave: How you doin’ Ruben? Ruben: I’m doin’ good man, just a little bit tired, but we’re getting ready to do the show. D: That’s what my question is. I was talking with Clay about this earlier. Do you guys get enough rest? I mean, it looks like they’re running you guys ragged. R.: Oh, we haven’t gotten enough rest in the past 3 days but… Clay: 3 days?! (Ruben in the bkgd “what?”) What about 3 weeks? R: Yeah, well it’s been kind of rough these past 3 days though. D: When’s the last time, Clay, you got decent night’s sleep? Like, all the sleep you wanted, didn’t have someone banging on your door or anything? C: I think the most sleep I’ve gotten has been on planes in the past few months(laughs). D: Really? R: Yeah, a lot of plane sleep. A lot of good American airlines, Delta airlines (ruben and Clay both laugh) northwest sleep. D: Now, I heard that you guys-now- this has got to be kind of a heady experience. Cause I was reading rollingstone- that you guys- were you both on the oprah show not too long ago? Both on the oprah show, flew probably a private jet out to the oprah show. Is that a heady experience? What? You’re looking at each other-no private jet? They don’t fly you on a private jet? C: Well, (laughs) well, Ruben you didn’t fly on a private jet. R: I flew on a nice, comfortable, big Boeing-something. C: I did get the, you know, opportunity to fly on the private jet, but it was more, really, more of a crop duster, I think (bkgd laughter) It was a crop plane pretty much. D: Very nice, very nice! So what question-(interruption, Ruben sees something) Oh Ruben saw something here. R: I see bootleg CDs up here. D and C: What? D: Crisco, you have bootleg CDs? Crisco: No, my mom got em on Ebay. D: Oh, what is that, does that mean bootleg Ruben? R: That means they’re bootleg. D: Do you want to confiscate those? Crisco: My mom got em, not me. D: Would you like to confiscate those? C: (to Crisco) You’re an accomplice. R: Oh my god. C: He’s an accomplice. D: Crisco, Crisco is flashing bootleg CD’s in front of the American idols over here, can we get security over here? (Crisco says something like “I think she’ll be here tonight, you can get her”) C: Well, we’re going to talk to her. Crisco: Yes, definitely. D: Now, let me ask you guys- R: I’ll say it was all you Clay, they’re both yours. Crisco: No, the magazines’ for you too. D: Now, let me ask you this-Crisco, Shhh zipit, zipit. Okay, the best part- C: I think he’s kind of bossy (directed towards Crisco) R: Mmmhmm. (laughter by all) D: Let’s talk about, um, in the last-in the last year, the biggest change, Clay. Obviously, a year ago you could walk into any Mcdonald’s or Burger King or whatever, and nobody would, like you know, look-they’d look twice. Now you can’t go anywhere. Has that been the biggest change? What do you think has been the biggest change? C: I would say that probably is the biggest change, you know, not being able- I haven’t been home that much, but when I have- when I do go home it’s hard- well, heck when I go anywhere. I went to London and got stopped by people. So, uh, yeah I think that’s the biggest change. Always havin to look around and see who’s looking at you and starin and makin sure that you’re not pickin your nose, because someone’s gonna be watchin, you know, that type of thing. D: Now, have you heard, Ruben, about uh, Clay actually has a habit –I don’t know if you heard about this- he actually chews his toenails. Did you know that? R: (feigning seriousness) No, I didn’t know that. C: Wait, you know- Ruben stopped me from chewing my toenails. D: Serious? R: (Laughs) C: Tell em Ruben! R: Okay, I just lied. I tried to save face for you (laughter by all) but no, I saw him doing it one day and I told him he needed to quit so… C: And, not only that, but he’s convinced me-Ruben’s very- Ruben takes good care of himself. I’m not even allowed to touch his arm unless I’ve washed my hands to make sure his shirt is not gonna get dirty (Laughter by Clay). R: Yeah right (laughs) You lyin’. You Lyin! C: Don’t even try… (giggle) R: No, cause you like to play- you like to lay on the stage and stuff but the stage is dirty. C: But anyway, Ruben keeps- he’s a big manicure, pedicure type person. So he’s convinced me to, to try to do the same thing. So, now I’ve stopped biting the toenails because- because my hands and feet are manicured, pedicured. D: How’s that coming? I mean, was that a hard habit to break? You know, chewin on the toenails? Cause I mean, let’s face it, not a whole lot of people are even able to get their foot up by their mouths. That’s pretty impressive. C: It’s not really addictive, you know, or anything. It’s just, I think, it’s a nervous habit and when I run out of fingernail I got to go to the toe-but look, tell the listeners that I haven’t been… (I think Clay shows his fingernails to Dave) D: Let’s have a look here, hold still. Yeah, they’re not too bad. I mean, you wouldn’t be a hand model or anything. But, you know, you’re alright. C: Watch it! D: You’re alright. Uh, any bad habits, Ruben, that we should know about? R: Naw, not, for real, no bad habits. C: You do snore. That’s not a habit, that’s not a habit, I’m sorry. D: He snores? C: That’s not a habit. D: Like loudly and keep you awake? C: Nnnnnnh (thinking) yeah, you do. R: I do not. I do not! D: How would you know? R: Cuz I know! (Laughter by all) R: Clay stop lyin man! C: You do snore! (Ruben says something that sounds like “the world is going to hell!” Clay shrieks. They all laugh) D: Now, uh, I also read, a couple of other things here- one of you-self professed shoe whore. Who would that be? Who is that? Who’s- C: I’m the SELF professed- I have said it about myself, but once again (laughter) Ruben, Tell the man the truth! D: Who’s the bigger shoe whore. Ruben? (silence) R: Pffft C: Tell them the truth! R: No comment (laughter by all) C: Let me say, that I am a shoe whore because of this man right here! D: Really? He’s blaming a lot of stuff on you Ruben. C: I’m sure you still have more shoes than I do but I came to L.A. with two pairs of shoes. A brown pair and a black pair. And now I got sixteen pair. Ruben, listen, we went through the airport the other day (laughter) and Ruben’s got a prize pair of tennis shoes- where are they? Are you wearin them? D: Tell me about the prize pair of tennis shoes, Ruben. What’s up with that? R: I just have a lot of shoes. C: But you have the one pair, and the TSA guy was going through the bag, and Ruben was over there sweatin! Like literally sweatin! He thought that man was going to mess up his shoes! D: Ruben, say this for me. Say, “my name is Ruben.” R: My name is Ruben. D: I am a shoe whore. R: I am… a lover of shoes. (Clay laughs loudly) D: a lover of shoes, Okay. Because so many people who listen to KDWB and the Dave Ryan in the morning show voted for you, Ruben, and voted for you Clay and voted for a lot of people, is there anything you’d like to say? I mean, you meet so many fans all the time. There’s so many people listening to the radio right now that would love to meet you. What would you like to say to the people who are listening to KDWB. Ruben, we’ll start with you. R: He talks so fast, yall, I mean really! (Dave laughs) R: (imitating) blah blah blah…KDWB. (laughter by all) D: Is there anything Ruben, that you would like to say… to the KDWB fans, right now. Ruben studdard? Ruuuuben. R: I would just like to say God bless you all and I really thank you all for all your support and help an just keeping me in the position I’m in. It’s all because of you. And me and Clay both are just really grateful to have the type of fans that we have. We just really appreciate you guys. D: Awesome. Clay? C: I think I’d just like to echo exactly what Ruben said because we are in this position- that’s absolutely amazing- we’re able to have an opportunity that we have both wanted for a long time and we’re able to have this opportunity because of the people who have supported us and no other reasons, so, um, so we appreciate it. D: Awesome. We’re gonna have a little fun. You guys wanna have a little fun? You doing the interviews and working all day, we’ll have a little fun. We’re gonna play the “make me famous” game. I give you a first name- Ruben we’ll start with you- I give you a first name and then you give me a last name the makes the name famous. For example- if I said to Joe, you might say Montana, for example, ‘kay? Crisco’s gonna time us over here. Put down the bootleg CDs. Crisco, he’s gonna time us over here okay? We’ll go with you first Ruben- ten seconds. (Crisco- ready, go) D: First name, Tom. R: Banks. D: David. R: Hasselhoff. D: Sheryl. R: Crow. D: Dick. R: Tracy. D: Mickey… okay how many was that, 4? That’s 4. Okay. (Ruben and Clay play argue about how fast or slow Dave says the names) C: Who’s Tom Banks? (laughter) D: Tom Hanks C: I think he said- I thought you said Banks. I think he said- can we run the tape back? (laughter by Dave and Clay) Because you said BANKS! And- D: I got it. R: Hold up, Hold up let’s start over, cuz you… (Clay laughs) I’m sayin, he, I’m sayin, he’s talking like now he wants to talk slow. D: Do you want me to talk faster? We can do a really fast round. Ruben, you ready? Alright, are you ready? Do a fast round here. Here we go D: Cindy R: Crawford. D: Shannon. R: Doherty. D: Liz. R: Taylor D: Nancy. R: Reagan. D: Tina. R: Turner. D: Fred. R: Hammon D: Kathy. R: um, Lee. D: Michael… Dude! That was much better. How many was that? That was, uh, six, seven. Seven in ten seconds. Not bad you’ve got your work cut out for you. C: (unintelligible) (laughter by all) D: What was that? C: (giggles) I don’t want to lose again to you Ruben! (Dave laughs) D: Here we go, I actually have to go to my second supply of names here in the palm pilot. Then we’ll get right out there guys. I know we have to hurry and get you guys out of here but this is too much fun, Okay hold up a second here- It is. It’s too much fun, I want you guys to have some fun here. Don’t have too much fun though. Okay, ready? Okay here we go, you ready? Clay? Pay attention Clay, tell me when to go. R: Hold up, no no no. C: Wait, he’s gonna time it because he doesn’t wanna… Oh he’s putting money on the table (laughter by all). D: What you get? C: He put a dollar down. I think- hold on, I don’t think I have a dollar. R: I got seven. D: oh, they’re makin a bet on this, okay, I gotcha. Alright. C: I don’t wanna bet Ruben! D: Makin a real bet. Here we go, seven in ten seconds. Ready? D: Steve. C: Pffffffftttt (laughter) I don’t know. D: Robin. C: Gifford (laughter) D: Adam. C: Smasher- I don’t know! D: (laughs) Christie. C: Brinkley. D:Angela. C: Take your dollar Ruben! D: There he goes, Ruben wins again! C:… I’m makin up names here! R: I can still do it, dude, give me another round! Say some more names! D: Next time we see ya. C: You put a dollar down, you made me nervous! D: You wanna do some more? It’s up to you. R: Right now, 5 names! D: Alright, here we go- Vanessa. R: Bell. D: Kim. R: (can’t think of one) hahaaaaaha Clay jumps in: Coles. D: Linda. C: Ronstadt. D: Pam R: Grier. D: Justin. R: Timberlake. D: You should have said Guarini, huh? What’s with that huh? Huh? Jake. R: The Snake. D: John R: (laughter) D: Ed. R and C: Mr. Ed. D: Now, see, that doesn’t count. That doesn’t count. Ruben you did great. Thank you very much. You won the dollar. Clay Thank you very much! C: I didn’t do so great, I know. Thank you though! D: It’s fun talking to you guys. Thanks man. posted by Yee 1:02 AM . . .